Last updated on September 13th, 2019 at 09:03 pm
By now, everybody has heard of the ‘open when’ letter phenomena.
The true reason people use these letters, however, is for their friends or family members, especially when people partake in long distance relationships.
These letters are free, come from the heart, and will be great brownie points in your relationship.
The following are the top 101 open when letter ideas for you to use for your partner, friends, and close relatives.
What Will I Learn?
- Open When Letter Rules
- What You Can Put in ‘Open When’ Letters
- 101 Open When Ideas For Your Best Friends
- 1) Open When You Are Eating Dinner
- 2) Open When You Can’t Sleep
- 3) Open When You First Wake Up
- 4) Open When You Are Visiting Friends
- 5) Open When You Are on a Work Break
- 6) Open When You Feel Grumpy
- 7) Open When You Are Anxious
- 8) Open When You Feel Distant From Me
- 9) Open When You Are Visiting Your Parents
- 10) Open When You Are Having a Boys/Girls Night
- 11) Open When You Are Taking a Bath
- 12) Open When You Need a Reminder
- 13) Open When You Need Reassurance
- 14) Open When You Miss My Voice
- 15) Open When You Thought Of Me
- 16) Open When You Are Stressed
- 17) Open When You Need to Know How Much I Love You
- 18) Open When You Miss My Jokes
- 19) Open When You Miss My Singing
- 20) Open When We Have a Fight
- 21) Open When You Miss My Hugs
- 22) Open When You Need a Kiss
- 23) Open When You Need to Cuddle
- 24) Open When You See Me A Week From Today
- 25) Open When You Get A Pet
- 26) Open When You Miss Dancing With Me
- 27) Open When You Get An Email From Me
- 28) Open When You Are On Your Way To Visit Me
- 29) Open When You Are Headed Home From Visiting Me
- 30) Open When You Feel Like Crying
- 31) Open When You Need A Laugh
- 32) Open When You Are Unpacking
- 33) Open When It’s The Day Before We See Each Other
- 34) Open When It’s Our Anniversary
- 34) Open When It’s The Anniversary of Our First Date
- 35) Open When You Get Home From the Movies
- 36) Open When You Are Watching Our Favorite TV Show
- 37) Open When Our Song Is On The Radio
- 38) Open When Your Life Feels Like It’s Crumbling
- 39) Open When You Need Encouragement
- 40) Open When You’re Planning Our Next Visit
- 41) Open Before You Call or Text Me
- 42) Open When You’ve Booked Our Next Visit
- 43) Open When It’s The Anniversary of Our First Kiss
- 44) Open When You Need Something Romantic
- 45) Open When You Need Something Funny
- 46) Open When You Need Something Positive
- 47) Open When You’re Worried We Won’t Make It
- 48) Open When I’m Not Available to Talk
- 49) Open When You Miss Holding My Hand
- 50) Open When You Finished Watching Our Favorite Movie
- 51) Open When Life is Becoming Too Much
- 52) Open When You Feel Happy
- 53) Open When You Feel Overwhelmed
- 54) Open When You Need to Smell My Perfume/Cologne
- 55) Open When It’s The Anniversary of Our Engagement
- 56) Open When It’s Our Wedding Anniversary
- 57) Open When It’s The Anniversary of Our First Cruise
- 58) Open When It’s The Anniversary of Our First Disney Trip
- 59) Open When You’ve Been Gone a Week
- 60) Open When You’ve Been Gone a Month
- 61) Open When Something Good Has Happened
- 62) Open When You Need a Confidence Boost
- 63) Open When Something Bad Has Happened
- 64) Open When You Need Comfort
- 65) Open When You Need to Tell Me Something Important
- 66) Open When You’re Heading into Work
- 67) Open When You’re Leaving Work
- 68) Open When You’ve Heading to a Concert
- 69) Open When You’re Feeling Naughty
- 70) Open When You Are Feeling Unsure of Yourself
- 71) Open When You Are Outside My Door
- 72) Open When You’re At Lunch
- 73) Open When Your Schedule Is Hectic
- 74) Open When You’re Afraid We Are Drifting Apart
- 75) Open When We Haven’t Talked For Two Days
- 76) Open When Life Is Coming Between Us
- 77) Open When Your Parents Bring Me Up
- 78) Open When You Are Visiting Your Brothers/Sisters
- 79) Open When Your Friends Are Driving You Crazy
- 80) Open When Your Boss Is Worrying You
- 81) Open When You Feel Unsafe
- 82) Open When You Need to Feel Loved
- 83) Open When You Need to Feel Appreciated
- 84) Open When You Feel Worthless
- 85) Open When You Feel I am not being a Good Boyfriend/Girlfriend
- 86) Open When You Lose Hope
- 87) Open When You Need to See My Face
- 88) Open When You Miss My Touch
- 89) Open When You Had a Dream Of Me
- 90) Open When You Remember Something Involving Our First Date
- 91) Open When I Am Sleeping And You Are Awake
- 92) Open When You Miss My Cooking
- 93) Open When You Feel Lonely
- 94) Open When You Are On a Vacation With Family
- 95) Open When You Are Home on Your Day Off
- 96) Open When You Are Singing My Favorite Song
- 97) Open When You Buy Me A Gift
- 98) Open When You Are At the Beach
- 99) Open When You Are Surrounded By Our Friends
- 100) Open When I Feel Too Far Away
- How to Make Your Cards and Letters Extra Special
- In conclusion…
Open When Letter Rules
This sweet letter comes with a couple of rules, and for good reason; it gives your special someone something to look forward to.
1) No Peeking
The main rule of this letter is no peeking!
This spoils the surprise and can put a damper on the time and effort your partner put into your letter for you.
2) Keep it a Secret
The next most important rule is that you do not show your ‘open when’ letter to anyone else!
These letters are meant for you and your special someone; they are private, personal, and intimate.
3) Open When Appropriate
What You Can Put in ‘Open When’ Letters
Now let’s look at some things you can put in an ‘open when’ letter to make it sweet and awesome.
1) Add Interesting Things
You can add a multitude of things to your letter to your partner.
2) Small gifts
Some people have added small gifts, such as;
- A gift card
- Some type of gift that reminds them of a date
- A moment they had
It is entirely up to the writer of the letter what they add if anything.
3) Decorative envelopes
To make letters pop, people have decorated the envelopes of their letters.
These instructions can be to call or text your partner after opening, to make sure they have something to drink and a snack in case the letter is very long.
Or to get comfortable and make sure they are ready to read it.
5) Save x amount of letters/ open x amount per week
This makes the letters last longer while you write new ones, or can last your partner until you can visit them.
6) Date mementos
Some people have added date mementos to their ‘open when’ letters.
Much like a small gift, these mementos can be sentimental and several things.
So now let’s dive right into the meat of this article.
101 Open When Ideas For Your Best Friends
So let’s roll the ball and begin right away.
1) Open When You Are Eating Dinner
For this ‘open when’ idea, you can include memories of dinner dates.
Also, you can even send them a recipe for dinner you’d like them to try one time.
2) Open When You Can’t Sleep
If you write an ‘open when’ later for when your beloved can’t sleep, you can include a playlist for them to listen to that can help lull them to sleep
Or add some book titles they can try that may help them sleep.
3) Open When You First Wake Up
This idea is great for couples to write when their other mate is not used to their loved ones not being beside them in the morning.
Little things that make them feel loved and thought of.
4) Open When You Are Visiting Friends
Many couples tend to visit friends of theirs together, and it can be particularly lonely when you are without your best friends.
Writing an ‘open when’ letter that is specifically for times like this can be uplifting.
5) Open When You Are on a Work Break
Working to come home to an empty house or apartment is rather depressing; having things to say or rehash but no one there can be depressing and bring people down.
6) Open When You Feel Grumpy
We all have bad days, and when your partner isn’t with you, those days can become darker.
Writing a letter for when girlfriend or boyfriend is in a bad mood can lift them up and turn their entire day around.
7) Open When You Are Anxious
We all get anxious, however, if you have a partner with anxiety, the simplest gestures can make their anxiety waves not as scary.
Or even suggesting movies to watch and self-care activities can help your special someone when you physically are not there to do so.
8) Open When You Feel Distant From Me
Relationships often have times where couples feel like a wall is between them; an ‘open when’ letter in these times can be a great reassurance.
9) Open When You Are Visiting Your Parents
When writing this ‘open when’ letter, add things that will make the time spent with their parents less lonely.
And add a couple of funny anecdotes they could tell their mom and dad that will get the conversation off of you being gone.
You can always throw in a ‘hello’ or ‘miss them’ to his family as well.
10) Open When You Are Having a Boys/Girls Night
Having a night out with the guys or girlfriends can be a great time, but very lonely when the topic of conversation comes to your friends or family members.
Having an ‘open when’ letter written specifically for this time can bring them comfort.
11) Open When You Are Taking a Bath
Saying things you usually said during this intimate time, or plans for future fun baths and relaxing times can help them enjoy themselves.
It doesn’t hurt to surprise them with a gift card to their favorite spa, either.
12) Open When You Need a Reminder
Letting them know how much you care and how much you love them is a great ‘open when’ letter during these times of worry and distress.
13) Open When You Need Reassurance
If you are dating or married to someone, who has been hurt in the past and feels like they are not worthy, an ‘open when’ letter for reassurance is the perfect letter for them.
14) Open When You Miss My Voice
An ‘open when’ for times like these can be crucial and help them get through the quiet and long days and nights.
15) Open When You Thought Of Me
Often your partner can flash through your mind at random times.
And these thoughts can cause a wave of sadness when you are not there to be with them.
A small ‘open when’ letter just to tell them you are thinking of them as well can make those thoughts happy instead of sad.
16) Open When You Are Stressed
Another hard part of long-distance relationships is not having your spouse or best friend to come home to when work, or life in general, is stressing them out.
An ‘open when’ letter can cause their stress to momentarily melt away.
17) Open When You Need to Know How Much I Love You
Sometimes hearing a simple “I love you” from your partner can make an insecure partner feel better.
Telling them exactly how you feel and assuring them your love is not wavering can make even the slightest worry of losing you go away.
18) Open When You Miss My Jokes
If you are the comedian in the relationship, and you are now gone, it can make your partner feel the laughter and joy have been removed from their life.
Writing a simple ‘open when’ letter filled with;
- Funny anecdotes
- New jokes you’ve come up with or heard
- Or suggesting a funny TV show or comedy routine to watch
Will make your partner feel the comedy is still there, even when you aren’t.
19) Open When You Miss My Singing
If you used to sing a lot, whether it was to your spouse or just for fun, it can be quiet when you are not there.
Adding a little CD or MP3 with you singing songs can also be a bright spot in their day.
20) Open When We Have a Fight
Let them know it was just a fight, and that you will still love them, and that it isn’t over because of one silly argument.
It will strengthen your relationship and make them feel good during this rocky time.
21) Open When You Miss My Hugs
Touch and intimacy is a huge part of relationships, and it can be a huge thing your special person misses when you are gone.
Writing them an ‘open when’ letter detailing how you cannot wait to hold them or to spend a day curled up.
22) Open When You Need a Kiss
Some couples can become addicted to their lover’s kisses, touch, or voice.
Let them know you are missing their kiss, and leaving a little kiss print will help keep those blues away!
23) Open When You Need to Cuddle
Let them know you miss their cuddles and that you have a whole date planned just for holding them when you return.
It will bring a smile to their face.
24) Open When You See Me A Week From Today
You can give them an idea of what you all will be doing, let them know you are just as excited as they are.
And talk about what you would like to get accomplished with their visit to you or you to them.
25) Open When You Get A Pet
When your partner gets a new pet, write them an ‘open when’ to make them feel you are welcoming their new pet into your life.
Send them ideas for pet names, talk about how you are excited to meet the new addition, and send them a gift card to a pet store to buy their new pet a toy.
26) Open When You Miss Dancing With Me
If you and your partner loved to dance, and it was a weekly (or nightly) occurrence, that aspect of your relationship can be missed.
27) Open When You Get An Email From Me
In long distance relationships, emails and text messages are something most rely on to keep the flame alive.
Send them an ‘open when’ detailing things you like about emailing them.
Let them know you care and will continue to keep this method of communicating going until they are home.
28) Open When You Are On Your Way To Visit Me
Another way to add excitement to your pending reunion is to write an ‘open when’ they are on their way to see you.
29) Open When You Are Headed Home From Visiting Me
Leaving to go back home after a visit can be incredibly emotional.
Writing your partner an ‘open when’ for the trip home can make them feel less heartbroken that you are no longer in reach.
30) Open When You Feel Like Crying
Life can throw curveballs that can knock people on their behinds, and when this happens we all want to break down and cry.
Uplifting them and telling them even the strongest people cry will make them feel less sad and embarrassed with their breakdown.
31) Open When You Need A Laugh
Tough days are bound to occur, and with their special someone gone, people in relationships often miss having their partners there to make them laugh.
Sending them an ‘open when’ letter that is full of funny stories and ideas for good movies to watch will bring them a smile and a laugh in their time of need.
32) Open When You Are Unpacking
Writing and letting them know you cannot wait to see their home and that you cannot wait until you are living with them will make them feel this constant travel is worthwhile.
33) Open When It’s The Day Before We See Each Other
A special ‘open when’ can get them ready and excited to see you the day before you are set to see each other.
Sometimes nerves can make couples jittery, even if they have been together for many years.
Even the simplest “I love you” and you are awaiting the call they are outside will make your partner feel special.
34) Open When It’s Our Anniversary
Anniversaries apart can send even the strongest partner in a bout of depression.
Treat it as an average anniversary; send them a small trinket with their letter and write down everything you would say if they were in front of you.
34) Open When It’s The Anniversary of Our First Date
If you and your partner are the type of couple to celebrate milestone anniversaries.
And ‘open when’ letter for your very first date can take them down memory lane and make their dreariest day a special one.
35) Open When You Get Home From the Movies
If your partner loves movies, a special ‘open when’ for when they get back from a movie can be sweet.
Let them know that you have a few movie suggestions they should see the next time they visit the theater.
Remind them of past dates to the movies (including old ticket stubs!).
Or tell them your next date should be a movie date.
36) Open When You Are Watching Our Favorite TV Show
This will let them feel you are still there watching with them even if you are far away.
Let them know what you are watching.
Remind them of new seasons of your shows that are coming up, and promise them you will have a binge-watching Netflix marathon when you visit.
37) Open When Our Song Is On The Radio
Every couple has a song that is “their song”.
And promise them that you will sing them that song soon when you are with them again.
38) Open When Your Life Feels Like It’s Crumbling
Tough times can happen at any moment; we can lose our jobs, get sick, or lose important people.
Write an ‘open when’ your partner’s life feels like it is in shambles.
39) Open When You Need Encouragement
We all need to hear from our partner that things are not as bad as they seem and we aren’t alone in our battles.
40) Open When You’re Planning Our Next Visit
Visitations are a huge part of long-distance relationships.
Surprising your partner with an open when letter pertaining to your next visit can be fun and give them ideas.
Suggest places to go, let them know you have a whole day planned for the two of you, and tell them how much you have missed them.
41) Open Before You Call or Text Me
A short but sweet ‘open when’ can be before you have your partner call or text you.
This can be a surprise you add in your letter, a simple I love you or anything you may want to tell them in letter form.
42) Open When You’ve Booked Our Next Visit
Booking a visit to see your special partner is a very exciting time and can be made more exciting with a sweet ‘open when’ letter.
43) Open When It’s The Anniversary of Our First Kiss
Anniversaries are exciting and most couples like to celebrate all of their firsts.
This ‘open when’ can be filled with the story of your first kiss so you and your partner can go down memory lane.
And you can include how much you would like to kiss them at the same place as your first kiss for your next anniversary.
44) Open When You Need Something Romantic
Romance is something deeply valued in relationships.
When your partner is needing that extra spark, you can surprise them with an ‘open when’ especially for this moment.
45) Open When You Need Something Funny
Laughter is said to be the best medicine; so when your partner is in need of something humorous, write them an ‘open when letter’.
You can add funny quotes from comedians, write your own funny story just for them, or tell them a funny story from your past that they might not know about you.
46) Open When You Need Something Positive
Positivity is what keeps us going and can save us from losing our minds.
When your partner is having a particularly tough time, it may be time to write them an ‘open when’.
Fill it with positivity quotes, tell them exactly how they make a positive impact on you and your bit of the world.
And share inspiring and positive stories of some of their favorite celebrities.
47) Open When You’re Worried We Won’t Make It
Doubt can creep in the minds of some of the most steady couples, and that’s okay.
When these times hit, simply write an ‘open when’ for your sweetheart.
Let them know you aren’t going anywhere and that you will make time to talk about their worries and concerns.
48) Open When I’m Not Available to Talk
Sometimes we need to talk to our loved one and they are not available, and this can be painful.
For these times, an ‘open when’ letter comes in handy.
Let your loved one know that you love them.
Tell them you will be more than happy to clear some space to talk about what is bothering them
And make sure they know you we’re not ignoring them; something important was keeping you away at that moment in time.
49) Open When You Miss Holding My Hand
The simplest gestures, such as hand-holding, can be what your special friend needs.
Tell them that soon they will be able to hold your hand as much as they want, that you miss their hand in yours.
And remind them of a sweet story regarding when you last held hands.
50) Open When You Finished Watching Our Favorite Movie
Every couple has a “favorite movie” to watch together, and that movie may sometimes bring comfort when their special one isn’t with them.
Tell them how you cannot wait to watch ‘your’ movie with them again and how you hope that movie always makes them think of you.
51) Open When Life is Becoming Too Much
Jot down how strong they are, how they have made an impact on their community, and how beautiful life truly is.
Remind them you are always there and it’s you and your sweetheart against the world.
52) Open When You Feel Happy
Giving your best friend an extra bit of happiness when they are already happy can make them feel blessed.
It will brighten their day.
53) Open When You Feel Overwhelmed
Feeling overwhelmed is normal; whether you have taken on too much responsibility from work or you have other things are going on.
Let them know you are up to help them with any extra responsibility you can, even if you are far away.
And remind them they can handle anything they have in their life, especially with you by their side.
54) Open When You Need to Smell My Perfume/Cologne
Smelling your lover’s cologne or perfume can open their senses and make their mood go from low to high.
When you write them an ‘open when’ letter, you can spray a bit of your cologne or perfume on it (like couples did in the old days!)
And let them know you love them and wanted them to have a piece of you, even if it is a small piece.
55) Open When It’s The Anniversary of Our Engagement
Include in your letter what was going through your mind during the proposal
Let them know your love has only grown since that day.
And you cannot wait to celebrate your next anniversary with them.
56) Open When It’s Our Wedding Anniversary
Celebrating wedding anniversaries apart is one of the most heartbreaking things a couple can go through.
Which is why an ‘open when’ letter for your wedding anniversary can make your wife or husband’s entire day.
57) Open When It’s The Anniversary of Our First Cruise
Rehash the cruise with them in the letter, let them know how excited you are for your next cruise, and ask them if they have any new destinations in mind.
58) Open When It’s The Anniversary of Our First Disney Trip
Disney World (or Disney Land) isn’t just for kids!
If you and your loved one have taken a Disney trip, send them an ‘open when’ on the anniversary of your trip.
59) Open When You’ve Been Gone a Week
If you and your partner have recently started living apart, sending them an ‘open when’ can ease their pain.
Let them know how much you miss them, remind them it isn’t forever, and rehash the last week of your life living somewhere new.
60) Open When You’ve Been Gone a Month
Tell them what the month without them has been like, suggest they come to visit as soon as they can, and tell them you will be with them again soon.
61) Open When Something Good Has Happened
Let them know how proud you are of them, tell them you want to hear all about the good news.
And someday soon you both will celebrate this great news together.
62) Open When You Need a Confidence Boost
Our self-confidence can sometimes waver, and that’s a part of life.
For these times, writing your better half an ‘open when’ can start repairing their low self-confidence.
Tell them what you love about their appearance.
63) Open When Something Bad Has Happened
When bad things happen, it feels as if our entire world has been tipped upside down.
Send your better half an ‘open when’ times of tragedy has struck to ease the blow.
Let them know how much you care and ask them if there is anything you can do.
64) Open When You Need Comfort
Comfort is crucial in a relationship; sometimes when we are not there to physically provide comfort, it can cause your lover to become depressed.
It could raise their spirits temporarily while you are gone.
65) Open When You Need to Tell Me Something Important
When your better half has important things to tell you and it cannot be done face to face, it can sadden them.
Send your partner an ‘open when’ for these times.
Let them know you hope what they need to tell you is something happy and they are okay.
66) Open When You’re Heading into Work
Heading to work is one of the most dreary days in our lives. It can be boring, tedious, and can burden us.
Give your lover an ‘open when’ for work days and let them know just how proud you are of them.
Remind them how far they have come in their place of work, and they can only go up from there.
67) Open When You’re Leaving Work
When leaving work, we can become impatient and cranky.
Write your partner an ‘open when’ for after work so they can take a moment for themselves to collect their thoughts and relax.
68) Open When You’ve Heading to a Concert
Music is a big part of many people’s lives, and it brings many comforts in our lives.
Send your better half an ‘open when’ for them to peruse while they are headed to a concert or music festival.
Reminisce about past concerts you have gone to together.
69) Open When You’re Feeling Naughty
Send them a letter detailing what you miss about your times in the bedroom.
Surprise them with naughty photos or a naughty story.
And tell them their next rendezvous in the bedroom will be better than their last.
70) Open When You Are Feeling Unsure of Yourself
We all have times where we feel we are not the best in our jobs, and we feel we could be better.
Let them know how important they are in your life and how they are growing and getting better every day.
71) Open When You Are Outside My Door
A sweet ‘open when’ for when your loved one is waiting outside can give you a chance to make a grand entrance.
Let them know you have a surprise for when you open the door and tell them how long you have waited for this exact moment.
It will get their hearts racing and a huge smile on their face.
72) Open When You’re At Lunch
Lunchtime can be boring and sad, especially when topics of conversation end up on our relationships.
Send your partner an ‘open when’ for lunch days that are awkward and sad.
Let them know that soon they will have plenty of stories to tell their friends and colleagues.
And they will be bringing lunches that you will personally make for them.
73) Open When Your Schedule Is Hectic
Between work, school, and activities, our schedules can be very crazy.
Make sure in times like these your partner has an ‘open when’ letter to read.
A sweet I love you and promise for one day to be all theirs will get you some brownie points, too.
74) Open When You’re Afraid We Are Drifting Apart
We can all drift from a partner at some point; however, it doesn’t last forever.
Send an ‘open when’ they are drifting and let them know you will be here waiting for them.
75) Open When We Haven’t Talked For Two Days
There are times in our relationships where we can’t talk every day.
Write your loved one an ‘open when’ for days you cannot talk but once or twice every couple days.
76) Open When Life Is Coming Between Us
Life can often kill more relationships than people can.
When life is getting crazy, send your best friends an ‘open when’ letter.
Let them know life will calm down soon and you guys will spend more time together.
Assure them you are working to make more time for them and nothing will take you away from them.
77) Open When Your Parents Bring Me Up
Parents love asking about their child’s love life. Write your partner an ‘open when’ when their mom and dad bring you up.
Let them know you miss their parents as much as you miss them.
78) Open When You Are Visiting Your Brothers/Sisters
Our siblings often become good friends with our better halves.
Let them know you miss their brothers and sisters and soon they will be visiting them with you there, just as you may have done before.
79) Open When Your Friends Are Driving You Crazy
We all have ups and downs in our relationships; friendships included.
Remind them of happier times with their friends and to work on communicating better with them.
80) Open When Your Boss Is Worrying You
Our work lives are where most of our stresses come from.
Leave your loved one an ‘open when’ letter when they tell you their boss has been acting weird, or if they feel they are close to losing their job.
81) Open When You Feel Unsafe
Life can tear us down and make us feel unsafe, even in our own bodies.
Let them know you will always protect them and if they are feeling this way to contact you.
Let them know that once you are living together they will always remain safe with you near them.
82) Open When You Need to Feel Loved
We can all feel unloved at some point.
Letting your partner know how much they are loved with a long ‘open when’ letter can help chase those feelings away.
83) Open When You Need to Feel Appreciated
There are times even in great relationships where we feel we aren’t being loved right or appreciated, and that’s where a good ‘open when’ letter comes in.
84) Open When You Feel Worthless
We all have mental health, and mental health can affect us even in the best of relationships.
If you have felt and seen your partner is going through a wave of worthlessness and depression, writing an ‘open when’ filled with positivity and love can make those clouds somewhat lift.
85) Open When You Feel I am not being a Good Boyfriend/Girlfriend
We all have times in relationships where we take our partner for granted, and it sucks.
Write an ‘open when’ for these times you are being impossible, mean, and just neglectful.
86) Open When You Lose Hope
Send a special ‘open when’ they are feeling dark and hope is lost.
Let them know you are their guiding light and you will get them through this time.
Include memories of past times they have felt this way and make sure they know how lost you are without them.
87) Open When You Need to See My Face
When loneliness becomes unbearable, special gifts (like an ‘open when’ letter) can put loneliness at ease.
Write them an ‘open when’ and include photos of you.
88) Open When You Miss My Touch
Touch is a big part of relationships, and it can be greatly missed when your partner lives far away.
Sending them an ‘open when’ for these times can help.
And remind them that soon you will be able to touch them again.
89) Open When You Had a Dream Of Me
If your partner awakes from a dream of you, waking up can often end in tears.
Send an ‘open when’ for times like these.
Let them know of any dreams you have recently had of them.
90) Open When You Remember Something Involving Our First Date
If a random thought comes across their mind of your first date, a sweet ‘open when’ letter can brighten their day.
Or you can write to them about what you especially loved about your first date wherever you went.
91) Open When I Am Sleeping And You Are Awake
If you are sleeping and your partner has insomnia, they can sometimes feel alone. Write them an ‘open when’ for these moments.
Let them know they can wake you up, give them ideas to help them fall back asleep.
92) Open When You Miss My Cooking
If you were the cook in the relationship, your partner is probably not psyched for meal time.
Add ideas for future dinners you will make for them, remind them that they too are a great cook.
And that you are just as excited to cook for them again as they are excited for you to cook for them.
93) Open When You Feel Lonely
Loneliness can take a toll on anyone, but it can be much worse when you are in a long distance relationship.
Writing your partner an ‘open when’ for when they are lonely can cheer them up.
And just let them know that soon enough you won’t leave without them.
94) Open When You Are On a Vacation With Family
Vacations with the family are always a fun time, but without your partner with you and your family, it can feel as if something is missing.
Writing an ‘open when’ for when your partner is enjoying special time with their family can make their day.
95) Open When You Are Home on Your Day Off
Days off at home can be boring without your partner.
‘Open when’ letters for these days can make them a little more lively and less lonely.
And let them know one day you will be enjoying all of your days off together.
96) Open When You Are Singing My Favorite Song
You can include a new list of songs you love and a special recording of you singing your song, too.
It can be a way of singing a duet, which will make your partner feel you are with them while you are gone.
97) Open When You Buy Me A Gift
If your partner loves to buy you a gift, write them a special ‘open when’.
Include a special thank you, and also have their own gift you have purchased (if small enough)
Or money for them to spoil themselves until you are there to do it for them.
Always make sure to let them know you appreciate and love them.
98) Open When You Are At the Beach
Let them know you will soon be there to enjoy the sun and fun, and remind them of past visits to the beach you have taken with them.
Including photos of past visits to the beach can make them smile, too.
99) Open When You Are Surrounded By Our Friends
If your partner lives where both your friends and their own friends are, it can be a lonely time.
Writing a special ‘open when’ they are at a gathering to read some words of encouragement.
100) Open When I Feel Too Far Away
If you and your partner are going through separate things in your lives, one of you may feel that you are drifting.
Writing an ‘open when’ letter for these times can bring you closer and make that spark pop again.
How to Make Your Cards and Letters Extra Special
The following are great tips that make your letters fantastically awesome and special.
Let’s get started on this;
1) Be yourself
Your letter or card doesn’t need to read like a Hallmark card.
Your loved one wants to hear your own thoughts and words.
2) Surprise them
If you know they are having a tough time, these open when letter topics can be a great surprise to send to your loved one.
It will brighten their day and get them excited for the next letter they get to open.
3) Add trinkets
It doesn’t have to be a gift you buy in a store.
Anything that would be special to them.
4) Send in a care package
If your loved one is away and misses you, sending these ‘open when’ letters in a care package can be a great source of comfort.
- Add a few home-cooked goodies
- A piece of your clothing that smells like you
- Or a photo you last took together
- Anything that could make them feel at home.
5) Send when they need something good
Sending these ‘open when’ letters are great when they need something out of the ordinary in their life.
These viral open when letter ideas are not a ‘cheesy’ thing the internet has come up with.
It actually is a sweet and loving thing to make the people in your life feel special.
You can write open when letters for boyfriend, girlfriend, siblings, parents, best friends, etc.
Make sure you and your loved one follow the rules and make your ‘open when’ letters special with decoration, gifts, and putting thought and effort into each letter.
Your partner is sure to love these sweet letters and fall deeper in love with you.