Last updated on April 10th, 2021 at 07:31 pm
This article will walk you through on how to tell if a guy likes you but is hiding it.
It will also answer the following questions that are on your mind:
- What are the signs a guy likes you but is trying not to show it?
- How to tell if a guy is trying to get your attention?
- How do guys act when they like you?
You see, all girls have at one time wondered whether their crushes like them back.
You perhaps want something more than friendship, and you want to know if the guy feels the same way.
Fortunately, men are not as complicated as you may think.
All you have to do is to learn the major signs to watch out for in a guy to determine if he likes you.
I believe this article will help you out.
So, if you’ve ever wanted to know if a guy is truly attracted to you or just being nice, then you are in the right place.
Let’s get right into it…
You Might Like: Funny Friendship Quotes
What Will I Learn?
- How to Tell if a Guy Is Into You But Is Hiding It – 23 Signs He Likes You
- 1) He Smiles a Lot at You
- 2) He Displays Mixed Signals
- 3) He Always Maintains a Deep Eye Contact
- 4) He Loves Asking Multiple Questions
- 5) He Follows and Stalks Your Various Social Media Profiles
- 6) He Loves Teasing You
- 7) He Wants Your Number
- 8) He Doesn’t Forget What You Told Him
- 9) He Always Finds it Difficulty to Say Goodbye
- 10) He Always Initiates Things
- 11) He Asks About Your Relationship Status
- 12) He Touches You “Accidentally” Many Times
- 13) He Ignores You Sometimes
- 14) He Shows Signs of Jealousy
- 15) He Isn’t Interested in Checking Out Other Girls
- 16) He’s Eager to Assist You
- 17) He Always Compliments You
- 18) He Never Stops Chatting
- 19) He Stops Using His Phone Around You
- 20) He Uses A More Masculine Body Language Around You
- 21) He Discusses His Future Plans
- In Summary…
How to Tell if a Guy Is Into You But Is Hiding It – 23 Signs He Likes You
1) He Smiles a Lot at You
Smiling is considered to be one of the strongest emotional expressions.
Studies show that fleeting smiles can cause positive emotional changes in other people due to their amazingly contagious effect.
Besides that, smiling is among the top ways of communicating friendliness. Shy guys will almost always smile whenever they see someone they like.
A genuine smile from a guy – 9 out of 10 times – is a way to tell you he’s attracted to you.
Figuring Out What the Smiles Mean
Did you know that a smile is different based on sexual attraction and true love?
Extensive work by social psychologists has discovered that true love and sexual attraction typically bring about different forms of smiles.
When you truly love someone, you will most likely give out genuine smiles.
Conversely, those experiencing initial high sexual attraction experience fewer smiles, but more of mouth and lip actions like licks and lips bites.
Research also shows that women tend to smile more often than men, especially from their late teens to mid-twenties.
It goes to show that when a guy smiles a lot at you, then he might be truly interested in you.
Tips to Understanding What His Smile Means
- Duration – Smiles based on interest will typically last longer for a few seconds.
- Reason – He’ll smile whether or not you say anything interesting or funny.
- Frequency – When he’s attracted to you, then he’ll likely be smiling at you more often.
Also Read: How to Make One Sided Love Successful
2) He Displays Mixed Signals
Is the guy treating you so well today and then completely ignore you the following day?
Then that’s a sign that he might be interested in you but is shy to admit it. Most guys do this as a way to avoid exposing their interest too early.
The result is an emotional roller coaster, especially when the guy is very shy.
The key here is to be patient and try to find out the reason(s) behind the mixed signals.
The following are some vital tips for dealing with a guy showing frequent mood swings.
1) Be Empathetic
There could be other things that your crush is dealing with in his life that are causing him to send you mixed signals.
For instance, he may be stressed out at work or trying to recover from a broken marriage or relationship.
So, if you do find out that he does this a lot, please be empathetic.
He’ll come around.
2) Have an In-Person Conversation
Mixed signals are quite frustrating to deal with anytime.
The surest method of clearing the air is having a conversation in person.
Avoid texting as you may misunderstand the tone he uses or read too much meaning into what he says.
While face-to-face conversations can leave you feeling vulnerable, it’s an excellent method of communication.
If the guy likes you and you think there’s a potential for something great, then it is good to have that conversation about his mixed signals.
3) He Always Maintains a Deep Eye Contact
If the guy you are talking to maintains consistent eye contact, then he probably likes you.
However, remember that there is a thin line between staring and deep eye contact. So, make sure that his eye contact is mutual and not impolite.
Interpreting The Different Types of Eye Contact
How a guy looks at you almost always indicates his feelings for you.
Below are a few descriptions of what various looks mean:
- Intentional glance – The guy is genuinely interested, and his eyes will always be on you.
- Fleeting glance – It could be that he’s shy or that the eye contact was made coincidentally. You can ignore this one as it probably wasn’t intentional.
- Long glance – This is often a subtle glance. While the intentional glance may last for two seconds, the long glance lasts way longer. Guys will typically stop eye contact after a while, so if he’s still looking at you, then he finds you attractive.
- Glancing twice – If the first eye contact weren’t received well, a guy who’s interested in you would gaze at you once more. It is certainly a powerful signal of interest.
- The unending gaze – This gaze seems to last eternally, but it’s typically around five seconds or more. It is a crystal-clear indication of attraction. He’s likely trying to show you that he’s interested. What makes it even more blatant is when he’s gazing at you and he’s also smiling at the same time.
4) He Loves Asking Multiple Questions
Are you getting a barrage of questions from your crush?
He’s likely interested in you and is looking to have a long conversation or might want to learn more about you.
He’ll most likely ask about your personal life.
That includes your:
- Dreams or even
- How your day is going
Examples of questions that a guy would likely ask you:
- What is your favorite song?
- Are you single?
- What are your thoughts on dating?
- Do you think love is real?
- How’s your family?
- Do you work out nowadays?
The questions will vary based on how well you know each other. The guy may start by asking questions that aren’t too personal.
So, give it time before he can be comfortable about asking more personal, inquisitive questions.
The main point here is to ensure you answer his questions thoughtfully.
That way, you will encourage him to continue the conversation and show him that he’s a person you are comfortable opening up to.
However, do not think that every man that asks you random questions likes you. Some men are just nice and love getting to know people.
Someone who isn’t interested in you wouldn’t put in that much effort into getting to know you well.
5) He Follows and Stalks Your Various Social Media Profiles
Many dating experts usually recommend watching body language, voice tone, eye contact, and various other cues to let you know if a guy is crushing on you.
However, since most people spend their time online nowadays, it is also necessary to key identify signals that someone likes you online on social media.
You may ask; Is he trying to get my attention on Facebook and if so, how do I know the cues?
Guys will often try communicating with you through tagging, direct messages, or tweeting, rather than phone calls or texting.
They can show support by shares, likes, and comments.
Here are other signs that he likes you based on what he does on social media:
- Supports your pages – Whether you’re promoting a worthy cause online or running a business page, someone who’s interested in you will support you through liking, sharing, and commenting.
- Responds to your stories – He always responds every time you post an IG story, which could show he’s looking for any excuse to ask you some funny questions.
- Frequent direct messages – Sending many direct messages is a great alternative to texting, especially if you haven’t yet given him your number.
- Constant tagging – Tagging is a subtle indication that he likes you, particularly if he tags you specifically in things that only apply to you.
- Liking your pictures – He likes all your photos, including those from ages ago. It means he scrolled quite far back to look at your photos.
- Commenting on your status – He can even comment on your status when they don’t necessarily involve him.
The fact that he looked up your details and added you on his social media profiles shows he’s likely into you.
It’s also a fantastic first step towards getting acquainted with you.
6) He Loves Teasing You
Playful and lighthearted teasing are excellent indications that a man is interested in you.
Most guys would never try to tease a lady if he didn’t like her or isn’t a close friend.
Cracking a few jokes and teasing helps guys calm their nerves down when approaching someone they are interested in.
Do you remember how little boys used to pull your hair in kindergarten?
Well, they were doing that to get your attention.
That’s how long guys have been teasing girls.
A study on social teasing found that it might be a way of indirectly showing closeness and affection.
Participants in that survey said that they teased their friends as a way of showing how much they appreciated them and felt safe being around them.
How Guys Tease Girls They Like
- He likes mocking you – He lightheartedly mimics you or mocks you to get you to laugh
- He always disagrees – He loves joking around and seeing you become passionate once he disagrees with what you’re trying to say.
- He gives you a funny nickname – He playfully gives you an amusing nickname
- Likes to tickle you – In some cases, teasing can become physical. He may try tickling or poking you, which is fundamentally a way of touching you.
- Jokingly make some accusations – He may accuse you of having a deep conversation with another guy. All he’s trying to do is tease you to find out if you have another love bird in your life – don’t fall for it.
7) He Wants Your Number
One transparent and obvious sign that he’s into you but shy to tell you is asking for your contact details.
He wants to call you and possibly ask you for a date later (if/when he’s got the balls to do so).
Nevertheless, you must be careful not to give your numbers to players who like getting in-and-out (if you know what I mean).
To such guys, getting a girl to give them their numbers is more of a game, rather than an honest interest.
They only text you when they want to…, like late Friday nights.
You want always to keep your distance from these guys.
Also, if the guy doesn’t call or text after getting your number, then he likely isn’t into you that much.
But hey, shy guys do take a hell of a time to get in touch with a girl they like. So have this in mind.
A study showed that when men initiate contact based on booty calls, then they’re not invested or keen about creating a lasting, meaningful relationship.
Remember that the goal of giving out your number is a possible date in the future. The guy could ask you to meet up again.
So, you should ensure you’re giving out your number to someone you like and wouldn’t mind going on a date with.
8) He Doesn’t Forget What You Told Him
It is easy to recite the basic things about the girl you’re interested in, including their work, home town, college, or even acquaintances.
However, when a boy remembers almost everything a lady mentions, then it shows a deeper interest.
For instance, when he remembers your favorite artist and sends you links to their new songs.
When he knows that you prefer roses to carnations and he sends them through. Remembering those little things you talk about shows that he’s into you but shy to admit it.
It is his way of telling you that he will never ignore things that you consider to be important.
Not every guy will remember every little detail about you, not until you are closer to them.
So, if he’s not only being attentive but also doing activities or hobbies that are important to you, then he is definitely into you.
He’ll also smile and nod at appropriate times within the conversation. He’ll keep everything in mind and be attentive when you talk.
You could be discussing something random or your goals, but he’ll always be genuinely interested.
9) He Always Finds it Difficulty to Say Goodbye
When you are only ‘a friend’ to him, he’ll not have any difficulty saying goodbye.
However, if he can’t seem to say goodbye once the conversation ends, then you’re likely in his mind and heart already.
That extra minute is so precious to spend conversing with someone who likes you.
That stage of asking each other to hang up the phone first is usually quite lovely.
It is something that will make you feel deeply appreciated, particularly when it’s genuine and from a guy you admire.
The guy is trying to show you how much he likes you but he’s also trying really hard not to admit it. He wants to keep the discussion going, even if you’re feeling sleepy.
He’ll always let you hang up the phone first, which is not online respectful and kind, but also sweet.
He’ll want a hug both before and after you talk.
Hugs are sweet and innocent, especially if you are already good friends.
Nevertheless, when he likes you, then the hugs become more important, and it’s proof that he’s certainly into you but he doesn’t way to say it.
The significance of not saying goodbye hurriedly is that he isn’t cutting down the communication line before either of you has an opportunity to say something you thought about at the last minute.
It also means he isn’t dying to leave that conversation and is honestly sad to say goodbye. All these are great signs that he likes you.
10) He Always Initiates Things
This is one of the clearest signs he is trying to impress you.
Smart women have learned the importance of taking the initiative within their professional lives.
That includes facilitating and leading team members, managing several priorities and other tasks to ensure quick project completion.
However, when it comes to finding out whether he likes you for a romantic relationship or dating, then that initiative should first come from the guy.
For instance, someone who doesn’t like you will not try to start up a conversion repeatedly.
He may say that he has a pressing matter to discuss or just sharing an interesting article online.
Irrespective of the method he chooses to use, reaching out and initiating anything first is a clear indication that he is itching to converse with you.
Tips for Responding Correctly
As a lady, you must master the art of responding rather than initiating. Here are the reasons why responding is empowering:
- You see things a lot more clearly
- Get to learn the true intentions of the guy
- Experience your romance journey more easily without having to sound too pushy
Here are also a few things to keep in mind:
- Allow him to woo you and ensure that there’s a good body, soul, and mind connection.
- Be clear about what you want by responding from the point of clarity.
- When responding,be sure you’ve made the right decision and give yourself room to love and be loved.
11) He Asks About Your Relationship Status
Finding out the availability of a person is among the major indications of interest.
If he truly likes you, he’d want to know your relationship status before he takes the next step. There are several methods he’ll use to find out if you’re single or not.
He may use the direct approach and ask you straight up if you’re seeing someone….
He will ask the question indirectly, especially if he’s worried about being too eager. He may even ask other relationship-related questions like about your favorite type of guy.
Also, if he’s interested in you, he may showcase the following signs:
- Fine-tuning his overall appearance every time he’s in your presence
- Glancing and holding eye contact for a long time
- Getting defensive around other men when you are with him
- Getting anxious when speaking with you alone
- Finding excuses to touch you
Being asked whether you’re dating is an excellent opportunity to pour out your feelings, especially if you’re so much into him too.
Lastly, ensure you’re truthful and honest when answering this question. At least now you know he is into you.
12) He Touches You “Accidentally” Many Times
A significant clue that you have an admirer is when he keeps on playfully and decently touching you.
It could be the slightest touch like those thumb wrestling games or anything else that helps him feel you.
He may gently stroke or hit your arm every time you say something funny. He could lean over to get to something and again, accidentally touch you.
For men, touching is one of the ways of making deeper connections.
Every time someone touches you, be it a hug or handshake, it produces oxytocin within your brain.
Oxytocin is a happy neurotransmitter that helps you create a connection or trust in someone.
It means that physical contact is a critical sign of interest. It starts with the initial handshake, which is followed by short and light touches in non-erogenous zones, like the shoulder or elbow.
Summary of possible touch zones
Here are some of the areas where he may accidentally touch you:
- Upper arm
- Lower back
- Upper back
Remember that the touches usually come naturally while you talk and should not last for too long.
Meanwhile, if there is just friendly talk without the touchy or flirty stuff, then that person is likely destined to be a friend.
13) He Ignores You Sometimes
Even though this sounds complicated, most guys (especially the shy ones) will ignore girls they are interested in for several reasons.
For most of them, it’s either about being extra nervous around girls or the anxiety of not knowing whether the girl would like them back.
So, if he suddenly starts ignoring and avoiding you, then it is likely that he is adoringly interested in you.
Most guys will also use this concept of ignoring a girl as a way of acting unobtainable. They hope that it will make the girl interested in seeking them out.
Hence, you should decide whether you like them enough to reach out and initiate a funny conversation.
What to Do When He Ignores You
Always remember that you are not accountable if the two of you aren’t a great match from the onset.
If a man doesn’t like you, then there is little you can do to change his mind.
You should not try to frantically cling to his side, as that will likely push him away.
The best approach is to talk to him, especially if he seems overly shy. You should try and create a comfortable speaking environment where he can talk to you.
If he starts smiling, then he is undoubtedly interested.
However, it is also possible that he’s not entirely interested in you ‘romantically’.
You can also ask your colleagues or friends to help you find out how he feels about you and then you’ll know how to move forward.
14) He Shows Signs of Jealousy
Have you detected signs of jealousy in him when you talk about other men?
If he suspiciously looks over when you talk to another guy, then it’s a positive indication that he’s interested in you.
Here are some signs you should take note of:
- He becomes visibly uncomfortable and unhappy every time you talk to the opposite gender
- Gets more possessive about you and insists on always knowing where you are
- He doesn’t necessarily like that you have photos of your former friends around
- Gets upset when other men find you appealing
- Unexplained mood swings may also indicate jealousy
- He pretends not to care when you talk to another guy
How to Deal with His Jealousy
Although a bit of jealousy never hurts and shows that you both like each other, too much of it, however, can choke your new relationship.
Here are tips to effectively deal with it:
- Tell him you like him and make it clear that you aren’t interested in anyone else
- Give him a lot of attention when he’s around your male friends
- Always talk about him in a positive light in your conversations with others
- Involve him when doing most of your social functions
- Show him off and even consider holding hands when with other people
- Call him regularly when you are out with your friends
Remember that guys get jealous when they feel insecure or assume that you don’t deeply like them.
It is essentially a cry for help, rather than a show of domination. Hence, if you happen to find him in a sulky mode, don’t get angry or upset with him.
Rather, reassure him that he’s the only one you want and you’ll soon see a big smile popping on his face.
15) He Isn’t Interested in Checking Out Other Girls
No need to deny it!
Every other guy frequently checks out girls.
So, why would he be the exception?
Make an inquiry, and if you’re just a friend, he will have no problem telling you how hot that girl at the bus stop looks.
But if he brushes away that line of thought, then know that there’s another side to the story. Test the waters, and ask him if he’s interested in anyone.
From there, you should comfortably be in a position to draw your conclusion.
Trust your gut.
Have you ever caught him looking at you or staring back when you pass each other?
It’s a clear indication he’s into you.
16) He’s Eager to Assist You
If you notice that each time you need his assistance, he goes to great lengths to make sure that he finds a solution to your problem, then he likes you for sure.
In fact, he will not mind helping you with the most tedious or boring work so long as it leaves you with a smile.
This means you’re more than a friend to him.
It doesn’t take him much time to figure out if you’re troubled without you having to tell him.
This awareness is a classic sign that he has done his homework about you.
Or better still, you might have been in the dark about his attraction for you for a long ass time probably because he’s done a good job in hiding his feelings.
If that’s the case, you have to appreciate the interest, the effort, and the time taken in getting to know you.
Also, he’ll find an excuse to help you with something just to be close to you even if you did not raise the alarm.
Is he calling you all the time trying to find out how you’re doing?
If you’re getting such signals, probably he’s only looking for an opening to talk to you—this is particularly true if he’s already aware that you’re fine.
On the other hand, if he stays longer on the phone whenever he calls you, then you’re golden.
17) He Always Compliments You
What’s a better way to know someone has a crush on you than through compliments?
If a guy likes you but is shy to admit it, he’ll waste no opportunity to acknowledge your looks, personality, dress code, anything else you can possibly think of!
It’s an excellent way to send you the right signals.
And it does not necessarily matter what you might have done to earn the compliments.
If that happens; he likes you, period!
And while at it, you might also keenly note how he does it; is he leaning towards you when passing the endearments?
That’s another tell-tale sign he is interested in you!
18) He Never Stops Chatting
How long does it take him to message the minute you’re online?
Another thing to take into account is how he interacts with you and how long he can hold a conversation with you.
What direction does the chat take?
Does it become flirtatious?
If it does, there is no denying that you’re more than a friend.
Does he promptly respond to your messages?
If he does, then he definitely fancies you. The instant response shows he doesn’t take you for granted.
19) He Stops Using His Phone Around You
Phones are quite addictive, and that is part of their inherent design.
Although there are multiple benefits of using smartphones, a huge limitation is that they can affect interpersonal relationships.
When a person is too plugged into his device(s), then it means he’s not present at that moment.
So, it’s a pretty massive sign that he likes you if he stops checking his phone every time you’re around.
It means that he’s now giving you undivided attention.
If he values you more than the digital world on his phone, then he clearly likes you.
Any guy that easily becomes distracted by his phone when having a conversation doesn’t enjoy having that discussion in the first place.
20) He Uses A More Masculine Body Language Around You
A guy that likes you but is trying to hide it will often try to show you that he’s an alpha male. He’ll want you to know that he is a leader and that he can easily cater to all your needs.
This is one of the weird things guys do if they are interested in you especially alpha males.
Alpha males are considered to be assertive, protectors, curious, physically strong, dominant, and courageous.
The alpha male usually:
- Moves with purpose
- Holds a strong and confident eye contact in all his interactions
- Has a spread-out and relaxed posture
- Sits and walks with a confident posture
Soon you’ll discover that you’re mirroring their movements.
It will develop over time, but you’ll be subconsciously mimicking their movements due to your closeness.
It means that he knows his worth, and he has a strong social life.
He takes care of his needs first, and that enables him to act with you more genuinely and honestly if he likes you.
How to deal with an alpha male;
- Never chase since if he’s interested, he will do his best to reach out to you
- Always let him take the first initiative as alpha guys like taking the lead across all areas of their lives
- Keep him eager and wanting more to ensure he always remembers you
- Respond with enthusiasm or act impressed once he contacts you
- Genuinely praise him
- Dress well as he’ll also likely be very well dressed
Recent surveys have shown that alpha males like independent women that aren’t too dominating.
So, be ready to bring out your feminine side as well if you want to attract those super masculine guys.
21) He Discusses His Future Plans
I know this isn’t supposed to be in this article but there are many guys who are so open about their future goals that they don’t mind revealing them to just about anyone who is interested in listening.
So if he discusses his future plans with you, he MIGHT be interested in you but don’t want to admit it just yet.
If he does this repeatedly, then he’s gradually moving beyond hiding his feelings.
This is something to watch out for!
It’s one of the most obvious signs a guy likes you.
You Might Like: Preggophilia – All You Need to Know
One very important thing to remember when evaluating if a guy likes you is to avoid waiting for those huge, grand gestures.
Don’t allow those romantic comedies and pop culture to confuse you.
Remember that most guys seldom make such huge romantic efforts, especially if they’re tryna hide their feelings or shy.
So use this article as a guideline.
So how do you know if a guy is interested in you but is hiding it?
Here’re the signs again;
- Smiles a Lot at You
- Displays Mixed Signals
- Always Maintains a Deep Eye Contact
- Loves Asking Multiple Questions
- Follows and Stalks Your Various Social Media Profiles
- Loves Teasing You
- Wants Your Number
- Doesn’t Forget What You Told Him
- Always Finds it Difficulty to Say Goodbye
- Always Initiates Things
- Asks About Your Relationship Status
- Touches You “Accidentally” Many Times
- Ignores You Sometimes
- Shows Signs of Jealousy
- Isn’t Interested in Checking Out Other Girls
- Eager to Assist You
- Always Compliments You
- Never Stops Chatting
- Stops Using His Phone Around You
- Uses A More Masculine Body Language Around You
- Discusses His Future Plans
So get out and use it!